Monday 26 September 2011

The foible of Apple PackageMaker

Using PackageMaker GUI, I created a package script which has a Postinstall action "Open File". The package (built with GUI) worked as expected, it did launch the installed application of mine after the installtion. However, I got a warning when I tried to build the same script with PackageMaker command line.

/Developer/usr/bin/packagemaker --doc makedma.pmdoc --out dmgsource/Installer.pkg
2011-09-26 11:59:59.533 packagemaker[212:903] Warning: unknown or deprecated action

In addition, the command line built package did not launch the installed application.

It sounds like no answer so far, as someone asked the same question on stackoverflow.

The command line PackageMaker is just one job in my shell script which builds xcode projects at the top and creates a dmg file at the end, so this foible caused some trouble to me.

I just wonder if it is another strategy from Apple - leave some glitches on purpose so that some people can make a good living on that? You know what I mean.

No comments: